Plan Your Next Adventure, now.
New research in Positive Psychology (basically, the science of happiness) shows the anticipatory period of planning and preparing for our holidays and adventures = the most happiness producing portion of the entire journey. I tend to dig the actual journey a whole lot too... But, these first steps are a super place to start crafting your perfect adventure, and savoring the enjoyment of the process and path. :)
First, Make an insanely inspiring vision board
- Start vague and think big picture (not small details... yet). Think of the feelings you want to feel on your next journey. Make a list! You may find destinations, companions, and modes of transport fall into place AFTER you've settled on the unique feelings of your trip. (i.e. fun, off-the-beaten path, natural beauty, luxurious, raw, cultural immersion, etc.)
- Collect and compile images that spark the vibe + feelings you're super stoked on.
- Collage images together in a beautiful way that makes you happy! This can be on paper, on a bulletin board, or an iPhone app.
I also love to make vision boards on my iphone the app Vision Kit... the digital collages above are three vision boards for my next adventure ;)
Next, look at your insanely inspiring vision board(s) every day + allow them to be fluid
- Enjoy the feelings the images inspire
- Imagine you're already there, feeling the vibe, daydream and the enjoy pre-journey journey ;)
- Allow your vision to change, once something feels like its shifting... change the imagery... Maybe you're more amped for a voyage with a partner in crime or more fired up on a girls trip than a solo mission... honor that shift :)
Be open and ready for action
- Keep your eyes and ears open... Ideas or friends will totally + magically appear to support the coalescing adventure plans! I promise. I once mini-splurged and booked an epic little cottage on the beach for a girls surf trip before I had even spoken to any of my girl friends. Whoa. 3 perfect friends came together and we had one of the best weeks of our lives.
- Read travel magazines, talk to friends who had similar trips, explore travel blogs, + watch inspiring films and videos in line with your vision. I just watched Travis Rice's The Fourth Phase and couldn't be more pumped on my next adventure! I had already written down that I wanted to travel the globe in search of snow, surf, and sailing... And it's the basis of the film. Pretty gnarly. Dig on other's righteous experiences. Keep mental or actual notes: how you'd like to do things similarly AND different. Make it your own. I am always on my friends' Sarah Murphy and Stefaan DuPont's social media and blog miles&miles because they are just an epic pair doing the kind of thing I want my next journey to look and feel similar to. (They are all over my vision boards bc they literally seek out and perfectly show off the world's nectar w/love and authenticity)
- Jump. Once something sparks, jump. Don't second guess. Going back to my Nicaraguan cabin buy... It just felt right, I didn't listen to logic, I put any fears aside and it all came into place. One of my favorite authors says it true...
If we listened to our intellect, we’d never have a love affair. We’d never have a friendship. We’d never go into business... You’re going to miss life. You’ve got to jump off the cliff all the time and build your wings on the way down
Plan your epic adventure with love and courage.
Enjoy the trip.
Allllllll of it. ;)